Wednesday, October 11, 2006

National Coming Out Day, Take Your Teddy Bear To Work Day, International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction, October 11th


National Coming Out Day

This year is the 18th anniversary of the founding National Coming Out Day, and this year's theme is "Talk About It." After participating in a march for Gay and Lesbian rights in Washington D.C., the founders of National Coming Out Day wanted to encourage a proactive and positive celebration for the GLBT community.

Check out this site for hints and practice conversations for any gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, straight/ally, or questioning person in almost all traditional conversational settings. And you can sign up for free breath mints when you are done practicing your conversations. If you don't think that you can find a conversation that will apply to you, try coworkers/hate-crimes/straight-ally. It's a pertinent conversation, especially if you work in a conservative environment. There is also a section that helps straight supporters to come out. Also, check out Tom, the Token Gay Friend. No, really... just check him out. I think he has very pretty eyes.

Take Your Teddy Bear To Work Day

Last year I tried to convince my coworkers that they needed to bring in teddy bears. My teddy bear was the lonely only. Teddy is going to have to stay home today. He told me that he wasn't happy about it. I might just sneak him in my purse so he won't be offended.

International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction

This year's theme for International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction is "Disaster Risk Reduction Begins at School." I was happy to learn this, because I was quite alarmed to find out that there was even a movement for an International Day for Natural Disaster Reduction. I mean, really, other than campaigning to stop global warming, how on earth are we going to stop natural disasters. Considering this year's theme, I think that we need to campaign to change this day to the International Day for Natural Disaster Preparation. It makes more sense to me. But, I'm not feeling up to petitioning the United Nations for the change.

6 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

AMS, my friend, I have something to tell you...

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Master Fob, my friend, you can tell me anything.

Christian said...

Even better, you can take your gay teddy bear to work with you today. It will help lead to fruitful and open discussions with your coworkers.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

I don't think that my teddy bear is perceptively gay enough to lead to many fruitful and open discussions.

He does wear a bow tie, which at first seems a bit Republican, but he wears it at a such a rakish angle that he is unquestionably gay to the discerning eye.

Christian said...

Please tell me he's not a gay Republican. *sigh*

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

No, but he has to dress a bit conservatively, he does live in Utah County.