Saturday, August 26, 2006

Make Your Own Lucky Day Day, Women's Equality Day, August 26th


Make Your Own Lucky Day Day

I stalled my post about Make Your Own Lucky Day Day, because I just had a feeling about today. Yeah. Today has not really been a lucky day. Apparently, all the oasis in the north Utah County area has been bought out by people doing weddings and stuff, so normal people who just want to arrange flowers for a birthday present... can't. (I have the flowers, and the container... and now what do I do?)

So, now, I have three hours to make a black veil to wear for my costume (All those Utah wedding people are really missing out on the Gothic wedding market.) And figure out how to arrange flowers without oasis. Any ideas would be helpful... or if anyone knows where there might be some extra Felix Felicis lying around...

I, know, I know, this is all my own fault for leaving it to the last minute. What can I say... I'm not only absent-minded, I'm a procrastinator.

Women's Equality Day

This day was created by a Joint Resolution of Congress in 1971 to commemorate the passage of the 19th Amendment, (which passed on August 26, 1920). The 19th Amendment granted all women in the United States the right to vote. Check out this U.S. Census page for some interesting facts about American Women.

My two favorite facts were:

  1. 31 percent of women ages 25 to 29 years who had attained a bachelor's degree or higher in 2004, which exceeded that of men in this age range (26 percent). 88 percent of women and 85 percent of men in this same age range had completed high school.
  2. 77 cents- The amount women age 15 and older, who worked full time, year-round, earned for every $1 their male counterparts earned in 2004. This amount is up from 76 cents for every dollar in 2003.
Which just goes to show- we still have a ways to go for that equality.

And now I had better get back to my black veil making... but I do have to give a big thank-you to Soccer Dad for the links from his blog. Thanks!

No comments: