Monday, July 3, 2006

Air Conditioning Appreciation Days, Stay Out Of The Sun Day, Disobedience Day, July 3rd


Air Conditioning Appreciation Days and Stay Out Of The Sun Day

I feel conflicted. I don't feel that I can fully appreciate air conditioning unless I stand out under the heat of the sun for some part of the day, and then go into the enveloping coolness of the air conditioning But, then I would be violating the second holiday. Oh, the agony of making decisions! Perhaps you will be better able to manage your celebratory method.

Disobedience Day

So there isn't just a whole bunch of chaos on Disobedience Day, maybe we should focus on civil disobedience. Thoreau wrote an essay titled Civil Disobedience. My favorite quote from that essay is,

"No man with a genius for legislation has appeared in America. They are rare in the history of the world. There are orators, politicians, and eloquent men, by the thousand; but the speaker has not yet opened his mouth to speak who is capable of settling the much-vexed questions of the day."
That is still true today. We have problems, and no-one has solutions. We get hopeful when new leaders run for election, but then they all just turn out weird.

Anyway, today is a perfect day to read Civil Disobedience, perhaps plan a rally of your own. Tomorrow will be a perfect day to exercise your freedoms with a little civil disobedience. Just make sure it's for a good cause.

2 comments:

Tolkien Boy said...

I think I shall rally against unjust taxation of Kool-aid drink packets. Anyone with me?

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

So do you think that Kool-aid shouldn't be taxed because it isn't a food item? Or just because?