Thursday, February 16, 2006

Why I might possibly be the office grouch

When discussing policies, and the naming of them. I prefer proactive "anti" as a prefix to passive "non." Most people in my office wouldn't necessarily care, but we have been given opposing council about which to use, and discussion has ensued.

Anti can mean: opposite;
opposing; against; counteracting; neutralizing; destroying; inverse; displaying opposite characteristics; not in favor of (an action or proposal etc.)

Whereas non just means: not; other than; reverse of; absence of.

Doesn't Local Government Agency's Destroying Discrimination Policy sound so much better than Local Government Agency's Absence of Discrimination Policy ?

Sigh. Everyone else wants non. Non. Nothing. Nada. It's so weird to name a policy after nothing.

4 comments:

B.G. Christensen said...

Tell them Master Fob votes for anti. In fact, he anti-votes for non. That should tip the scales.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Woo Hoo! I'll tell them that a writer agrees with me!

B.G. Christensen said...

Ahem. Not any writer. Master Fob.

:)

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

Master Fob, my apologies,

Master. Fob.