Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Rejection Awareness Week; Love Makes the World Go Around, but Laughter is What Keeps Us From Getting Dizzy Week; February 7th-14th

Rejection Awareness Week 1980s Style

1. At This Moment
Billy Vera & the Beaters

What did you think I would do at this moment
When you're standing before me
With tears in your eyes
Trying to tell me that you have found you another
and you just don't love me no more ...

...What do you think I would give at this moment
If you'd stay I'd subtract twenty years from my life
I'd fall down on my knees
and kiss the ground that you walk on
If I could just hold you again

I remember when I first heard this song. It was on Family Ties
and Alex had just lost his first girlfriend. Alex played the song at least twice in the course of the show. By the end, I was bawling. How could she leave him! He was so cute! Oh the trauma of television teenage angst. Rip my heart out

2. >Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
The Smiths

Good times for a change.
See, the luck I've had
could make a good man
turn bad.
So please, please, please
let me, let me, let me
let me get what I want
this time.

Haven't had a dream in a long time.
See, the life I've had
could make a good man bad
So for once in my life,
let me get what I want.
Lord knows it would be the first time.
Lord knows it would be the first time.

This is an eighties song, I was aware of it in the eighties, but I discovered powers available in that song if sung as a mantra in chorus with roommates. My freshman year in college in the early nineties, it was played and many, many times in my dorm as six girls attempted to decipher the mysteries of freshman boys, and some not freshman boys.


3. Look Away
Chicago

But if you see me walking by,
And the tears are in my eyes,
Look away, baby, look away.
If we meet on the street some day,
And I don't know what to say,
Look away, baby, look away.
Don't look at me
I don't want you to see me this way

After you've been rejected, you don't want to see them, or anyone for that fact. Then they will see the hair that hasn't been washed on two days and no makeup.


4. If You Leave
OMD

If you leave, don't leave now
Please don't take my heart away
Promise me just one more night
Then we'll go our separate ways

Rejection is less the issue, and separation anxiety is more likely the diagnosis.

5. The One I Love
R.E.M.

This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
A simple prop to occupy my time
This one goes out to the one I love

Fire (she's comin' down on her own, now)

This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
Another prop has occupied my time
This one goes out to the one I love

This is The Ultimate Irritating Rejection song. The song is just "a simple prop to occupy [his] time," and then another prop occupies his time. Gee thanks, glad that I could occupy your time for about two minutes before you had better things to do.

Love Makes the World Go Around, but Laughter is What Keeps Us From Getting Dizzy Week

Albert Einstein seemed to have a fairly strong grasp of what makes the world go around. Let's see what he had to say about love.

"Gravitation can not be held responsible for people falling in love."
Albert Einstein

"How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"
Albert Einstein

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour.
Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity."
Albert Einstein

No comments: