Sunday, January 15, 2006

January 15, 2006

Absent-minded Secretary is back! A day earlier than promised, with a whole lot of stuff on her mind. First I should explain a bit why I was grumpy last week and had to ground myself from posting. You see, I have Multiple Sclerosis and I have been going through some medication adjustments, which always makes me grumpy, and my boss was out of town, which creates a pressure cooker type environment for me. And because my work is my life, if work is bad, life is bad. (Not really true, but true this week.) I decided to wait until this weekend to try the final two meds, because it is a three day weekend, and my doctor said that they might have some interesting side effects. There have been some. First, I have slept... a lot. About 35 hours since Friday night. I might need to see if I can do something about that. Second, I had some really freaky dreams during those hours of sleep... I might go into that later, or not, I might not need to share a trip into my innermost psyche with the internet. I need to talk to my blonde doppelganger and fellow Jungian, Laura. Third, I have a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I mean, tongue-stuck-on-the-lamp-post-in-an-ice-storm taste.

I don't usually talk about my M.S.- at least I try not to. I try to pretend that I am a normal-working-over-thirty-and-single-mormon-girl-who-votes-democratic-at-every-election. Wait, maybe that isn't so normal. Sigh. My point is, I try not to get all "woe is me" about my illness. Regardless, I have been forced to realize, that it does make me different from "normal" people, that I need to make my own adjustments to my life, and especially that I need to not judge myself by anyone else's standards of normal. I can create my own normal.

Okay, so you, (I am pretending here that I have a massive readership) might be wondering, "why is Absent-minded Secretary all of a sudden making this dramatic change in the scope of her blog?" Well, after not posting anything for a few days, I have been spending a lot of time reading other people's blogs- a lot of other people's blogs. I have reached a few conclusions from reading their blogs... knowing that there are other people out there with similar feelings and frustrations... helps me. Even if the situations are completely different, reading their frustrations with society, and their intelligent, quirky comentary on life, makes me smile. I might not be as articulate as some people, but no-one knows who I am anyway... so why should I be shy?

I probably will continue to do holiday blogs... because that is still a part of who I am. After all, we wouldn't want to miss "Appreciate a Dragon Day" (Harry Potter Dragon Snot recipe) tomorrow.

In my sort-of-awake-fog this morning, I did a quiz. Apparently, my new nail polish color is black.

Your Nail Polish Color is Black

How you're unique: There's nothing about you that isn't unique

Why your style rocks: You are a total indie chick... and you can pull it off

What this color says about you: "I'm a trendsetter and don't care what anyone else is doing!"


I don't think I can pull off black nail polish. I think that my boss would send me home until I returned to normal. Or he would look at me sideways all day, wondering if it would be sexual harrassment to send me home for poor nail polish choices.

2 comments:

Christian said...

Yay! You're back! And I did miss your posts, even if I didn't give you a shout out. I apologize most profusely for my negligence as a friend. However, I have seen you once a week for the past two weeks, and that's an impressive feat in and of itself. What with me being the antisocial coot that I am.

And I think I'm glad you got lots of sleep, though that much time worries me a tad. Then again, I'm not getting enough, so you may as well be.

Erin aka- absent-minded secretary said...

I have not felt neglected at all Edgy... and look, I have two posts today! Shocking! Don't worry about my sleep, I'm not taking those medications again. If it weren't for the sleep, it would be for the taste. Hot chocolate doesn't make it go away! I wish I could promise that I won't keep you up late again on a weeknight... but, I have to be realistic, I'm a talker when you get me started. :)